Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, March 7, 2010

where's the beef

There are certain times that ground turkey will just not suffice and I have to have some juicy, tasty RED meat. Thursday was one of those rare exceptions, although it was not due to a craving of my own; damn that Dan!! I attempted to protest, as we were only on Day 4; however, Dan had threatened me with the promise of placing a muchaco from Bueno in front of me (something I am unable to resist) if I did not show him the beef. While I should instead work on my own willpower and inability to say no to the sweet deliciousness of the muchaco shell wrapped around the savory goodness that is the perfect mix of Bueno beef, beans and shredded cheddar, which I am most positive is not made with 2% milk; I instead gave into my husband’s request and found a way to healthify one of his favorites: Salisbury steak. But now that I think about it, I really could go for a muchaco …

US News & World Report stated back in August of 2009 that red meat can be part of a heart-healthy diet, when eaten in moderation and if the right cuts of beef are chosen. I selected extra-lean ground sirloin: in a 4oz portion there are 130 calories (40 calories from fat), 4.5g of fat, 60mg of cholesterol , 75mg of sodium AND 22g of protein. There is also a big serving of Iron, Vitamin B12 and Zinc. For comparison purposes, in a single chicken drumstick, you can find the following: 112 calories (90 from fat), 10.1g of fat, 60mg of cholesterol, 273mg of sodium and 18g of protein. Also, there is very little Iron and minimal amounts of Vitamins A, E and B2.

I purchased 1lb (16oz) of extra lean ground sirloin, divided it into fourths and restrained myself enough to only eat one portion. But before I could divide and conquer, one must first season one’s meat or risk Chef Ramsay shaking his head in shame that I learned nothing from watching every single episode of Hell’s Kitchen, not even his cardinal rule: you must season your dish! I chose to go fairly light on the seasoning: 1 minced garlic clove, a healthy sprinkling of fresh ground black pepper and a dash of red wine. Add the seasoning to the meat and mix it well then form into 4 mostly equal portions; roll each portion into a ball then smush between your palms to form fairly thick patties, with even thickness throughout (you don’t want them thick in the middle and skinny on the sides).

Over on the other side of my kitchen, I had my favorite pan warming over medium-low heat. I pretty much always use my cast iron pans when I’m making beef, I don’t know why but I swear it just makes beef better. I placed the patties in the pan and increased the heat to medium; you want to brown both sides of the patties. Meanwhile, whisk about 2 tbsp of flour into 2 cups of nonfat reduced sodium beef broth until the flour is fully incorporated. Once the patties have been browned on both sides, add the broth to the pan, also adding about 1 ½ cups sliced mushrooms and a good sprinkling of black pepper. Once the broth starts to boil, reduce the heat and allow the patties and mushrooms to simmer, turn the patties occasionally until they are fully cooked through.

While those finished cooking, I popped some green beans in the microwave and voila! A well-balanced, healthy meal that had beef as my centerpiece. So there Dan … there’s your beef, you can keep your muchacos to yourself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment