Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, April 15, 2010

like martha ... if i could be like martha!!

Most of my generation will recall a very annoying Gatorade commercial from 1991; back when Michael Jordan still played for the Bulls (the first time). It was insanely popular and that terrible song was constantly stuck in the minds of young children: like Mike, if I could be like Mike! Well, in 1991 you probably did want to be like Mike; he was wildly famous and extremely wealthy, had won his first NBA Championship, and was the epitome of a positive role model with his clean-cut public persona. Kids loved him, parents loved him even more!

In 1991, Michael Jordan was someone young children could look up to. Fast forward 19 years to the year 2010, and many individuals may not feel that same way anymore. In the past 19 years, he retired, tried his hand at professional baseball, came out of retirement, retired, un-retired again, had a few adultery scandals, got divorced and while he’s finally retired (for good this time) and the NBA official website still touts him as the greatest basketball player of all time, I think he’s landed himself somewhere in VH-1 “where are they now” obscurity. OH, I almost forgot his gambling problem that was first uncovered in Atlantic City, Q-Jersey!!

I don’t want to be like Mike, I never wanted to be like Mike. I wasn’t a girly-girl, I didn’t dream about being a princess and I for sure never dreamt about being married and having kids. I wanted to be a career gal wearing power suits with shoulder pads. Maybe I’d be a doctor or a lawyer, but definitely not a boring old school teacher (no offense meant to my teacher friends, but well if you know me, you know teaching just isn’t my forte); then one day I awoke and announced that I was going to be a chef. My parents slightly indulged my wishes and didn’t really complain much as long as the cookies were yummy and I didn’t burn down the house.

Julia Child was my role model. Here was a woman who didn’t really care much about what anyone thought of her and she didn’t try to hide or cover up her mistakes. She just did was she loved doing and didn’t care about much else. If she dropped something on the floor, she’d just pick it up and go back to work. Nothing got in her way, not even that tricky puff pastry. Her carefree attitude about cooking and really about life is awe inspiring still to this day. She was a pioneer; this was looooooong before the days of Food Network and most women on tv were on Soap Operas or Roseanne back when I was in a budding little pre-teen trying to figure out life. To me, she was the end-all-be-all of what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Although I near my {gasp} 30th birthday, I think I can still learn a lot from my childhood idol. However, I’ve turned my recent attentions from Julia to Martha. Martha Stewart is the definition of success. She went from being a model to working on Wall Street to various other employs, eventually turning her every day chores into an enterprise. To top it all off, she went to jail for 5 months, I expected she’d head to that VH-1 obscurity … but she came out even stronger and more popular than before. Throughout her life, when the world got her down or she was kicked aside, she got right back up and demanded more. She has turned her personal opinions, experiences and lifestyle into an enormous omnimedia corporation, yet she can still tell you which generic brand foods taste just the same as the expensive brands so that you can save some pennies while trying to cook along at home to one of her recipes. And I truly believe she taste tests it all herself. Why? Because Martha Stewart is a perfectionist. Sometimes perfectionists get negative press, we’re called high-maintenance or b*tchy, but I think perfection is a positive thing! While I have absolutely no intention of spending time in jail, I would be glad to be like Martha.

Martha is my hero; Julia is my idol. I think if I can strike the right balance of Julia’s positivity and carefree attitude mixed with Martha’s perfectionist attention to detail and fortitude that I can accomplish anything that I set out to do. To prove this to myself on a very, VERY small scale, tonight I’m making a chocolate cake from scratch using ingredients I’ve never used before then frosting it with homemade chocolate cream cheese icing, which I have never even tasted before. Both recipes are featured in the April 2010 edition of Martha Stewart Living; I’m not sure I can reprint it here without getting in trouble but I’ll be sure to let you know how good it tastes!!

I found a recipe on Martha’s site that is close to the same chocolate cake recipe in the magazine: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/one-bowl-chocolate-cake

1 comment:

  1. according to dan, i am wildly out of the loop and MJ is nowhere near obscurity. whatev, he's not on tmz, perez or wonderwall; therefore, he has traveled to the world of "where are they now."

    ReplyDelete