Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, February 21, 2011

Happy Long Weekend err I mean Happy Presidents' Day!

My two best friends, whom I’ve known since grade school, came to town for the long weekend and we had an absolute blast! I was super proud of myself for making good choices even though we were at restaurants where I’d normally have covered my plate with queso. While it was a great time, I’m very glad to have Presidents’ Day off to recover and get my week planned out. There are roughly 4 weeks until St. Patrick’s Day and I’ve promised myself that if I stick to plan and exercise at least three times per week, I get to have all the Guinness and soda bread that I want!! (side note: it’s definitely a good thing that it’s a school night, that will keep me from over-indulging on the Guinness)

This week, I’m making an egg beater & turkey bacon casserole for breakfasts and am working through the lentil, tortilla and black bean soups stacked up in our freezer for my lunches. I was super excited to go to the farmer’s market today and see SO much fresh, locally grown produce to incorporate into this week’s dinners.

This week’s dinner menu:
Monday – make-your-own pizza night!! I’m letting Dan have pepperoni on his but I made a homemade salsa to top mine
Tuesday – chicken breasts stuffed with ricotta/spinach topped with a homemade marinara, sautéed eggplant and mushrooms
Wednesday – oven-fried chicken; we were supposed to have this last week but I hurt my knee, skipped the gym, and let Dan order pizza instead so we’ll be having it this week with sweet potato fries and green beans
Thursday – shepherd’s pie; I was crazy surprised that my regular recipe for this didn’t need much tweaking to get the points value down!
Friday – healthified chicken enchiladas

Stuffed Chicken Breasts
4 servings, 7pp each
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pkg frozen, chopped spinach
- 15oz part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt & pepper
- olive oil

1. Thaw spinach in a colander and squeeze out as much water as possible; pound out the chicken breasts to make them about ¼” to ½” thick
2. Mix ricotta, garlic and spinach in a large bowl; add salt & pepper to taste (I also add some red pepper and onion powder sometimes, when I remember)
3. Lay the chicken breasts out flat, salt & pepper the side facing up then stuff with the spinach/ricotta mix; fold the chicken breast over the filling and hold with toothpicks if necessary
4. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and bake 30-40min at 375, until cooked through

Totally optional but I’ll be adding a spoonful of marinara on top of each of mine with some sautéed mushrooms and eggplant instead of pasta, it increases the dish by about 1 pp. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment